Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A few hours of normalcy

Wed, May 2, beautiful outside

Last night, around 8pm, I walked outside to greet my parents and let the kids give good night kisses. With delightful shock, I felt *normal*. I didn't feel like I was in a haze, or like something was pressing on my insides, no nausea...I felt like moving and being and dancing with my kids.

Today, I felt sick all morning, but for about 3 glorious hours this afternoon, I felt like cleaning and playing, which is so much more how I *like* to be. It makes me happy to be bustling about, watching my kids laugh, while wiping a counter or a dirty face. It's amazing how quickly you can forget what normal feels like when you don't experience it for a while. For 3 weeks now, I haven't felt like standing, much less cleaning or tidying anything and I began to think that I really was just lazy and a slob. I imagine that's what depression does, or alcoholism, or sickness, or any number of things that stays and drains somebody for weeks on end without stop. It becomes a new normal.

It's now time to cook dinner and my window of normalcy has passed. I feel queasy again and dread cooking, and even more, eating.

Which brings me to the second human attribute that supersedes all others: hope. With just a few hours of not being sick to my stomach, I'm already hoping that this was a sign that the worst of pregnancy sickness has passed and is a window into what's to come. Namely, more and more hours of not feeling like this.

Brigid's advice (as I tend her flame today): Take advantage of the hours when you feel good, work hard and play hard while you can, because you may not be willing or able to do it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment